- There are no prerequisites needed to attend this course
- As per 33188.8.131.52 of the NYC Construction Codes, this course is required by the New York City Department of Buildings (DOB) to use or work on suspended scaffolds in New York City.
- NOTE: In addition to completing this training course, individuals who use a Suspended Scaffold may also need to possess a Certificate of Fitness from a licensed rigger or sign hanger.
- CEUs: 1.6
- Completion of IACET Registration Form
- Active participation in all class exercises
- As applicable, achievement of minimum passing score on required end-of-course examination
- Participation and submittal of end-of-course evaluation form.
- Any individual who is required to use or work on a suspended scaffold in New York City.
16-Hour Suspended Scaffold User
The 16-Hour Suspended Scaffold User course is a comprehensive training program designed to provide participants with the knowledge and skills necessary to safely use suspended scaffolds in the construction industry. Suspended scaffolds are platforms that are suspended from above, typically used for work at heights or in challenging access areas.
During the course, participants will learn about the various types of suspended scaffolds, their components, and their applications in construction projects. They will gain an understanding of the importance of proper setup, inspection, and maintenance to ensure the stability and safety of suspended scaffolds.
The training will cover topics such as scaffold safety regulations, hazard identification, fall protection, rigging techniques, proper use of personal protective equipment (PPE), emergency procedures, and load capacities. Participants will also learn about communication, coordination, and safe work practices when using suspended scaffolds.
Language: English, Spanish, Portuguese
Duration: 16 Hours
Course Code: SCA-103
Hands-On: the instruction must be delivered onsite and in person. The students
must physically handle the items during the hands-on.
• Demonstration: the demonstration may be delivered either by a person or a video. Video Demonstrations may be delivered by virtual live classroom however, self-study modules are not permissible.
• Classroom Lecture/ Discussion w A/V: the instruction may be delivered by virtual live classroom; however, self-study modules are not permissible.
- Understanding Suspended Scaffold Systems: Participants will gain a comprehensive understanding of different types of suspended scaffold systems, their components, and their applications in the construction industry.
- Scaffold Safety Regulations and Standards: Learners will familiarize themselves with relevant scaffold safety regulations, standards, and guidelines, including OSHA requirements, ensuring compliance and promoting a safe work environment.
- Hazard Recognition and Risk Assessment: Participants will develop the skills to identify potential hazards associated with suspended scaffolds, assess risks, and implement appropriate control measures to mitigate those risks.
- Scaffold Setup, Inspection, and Maintenance: The course aims to educate participants on proper procedures for setting up, inspecting, and maintaining suspended scaffolds, ensuring stability, structural integrity, and adherence to safety standards.
- Fall Protection Measures: Learners will understand and implement fall protection measures specific to suspended scaffolds, including the proper use of personal fall arrest systems (PFAS), harnesses, lifelines, and anchorage points.
- Safe Work Practices: Participants will learn and apply safe work practices while using suspended scaffolds, including load capacity management, avoiding overloading, securing tools and materials, and maintaining a clean and organized work area.
- Rigging Techniques: The course will cover proper rigging techniques for suspended scaffolds, including the selection and attachment of rigging equipment, ensuring secure connections, and proper use of rigging hardware.
- Emergency Response and Rescue Procedures: Participants will learn about emergency response procedures, evacuation plans, and rescue techniques specific to suspended scaffold situations, ensuring worker safety during emergencies.