- Prerequisites: Students attending this course should have previously taken a 16 Hour User Suspended Scaffold or 8 Hour User Suspended Scaffold Refresher within the last 4 years from an approved training provider. The expired or soon to be expired card must be presented prior to the start of the course.
- As per 33220.127.116.11 of the 2014 NYC Construction Codes, this 8 Hour Refresher is required by the New York City Department of Buildings (DOB) to continue to use or work on suspended scaffolds in New York City. Should individual not renew their card within the allowed time, they will no longer be eligible to attend an 8 Hour Refresher and must retake the original 16-hour class.
- CEUs: 0.8
- CEU Requirements: 100% attendance for the course.
- Completion of IACET Registration Form
- Active participation in all class exercises
- As applicable, achievement of minimum passing score on required end-of-course examination
- Participation and submittal of end-of-course evaluation form
- This course is intended for workers who are renewing an expired or soon to be expired 16 Hour User Suspended Scaffold or 8 Hour User Suspended Scaffold ID card to continue to use suspended scaffolds in NYC.
8-Hour Suspended Scaffold User Refresher
The 8-Hour Suspended Scaffold User Refresher course is a specialized training program designed for individuals who have previously completed the 16-Hour Suspended Scaffold User course and need to renew their certification. This refresher course provides a condensed review of important concepts and updates related to using suspended scaffolds in the construction industry.
During the course, participants will revisit key topics covered in the initial 16-hour training, including scaffold safety regulations, hazard recognition, fall protection measures, scaffold setup, inspection, maintenance, and emergency procedures. The course will also address any recent updates or changes in regulations or best practices related to suspended scaffolds.
The training will focus on reinforcing knowledge, refreshing skills, and addressing any specific challenges or areas of concern related to using suspended scaffolds. Participants will have the opportunity to discuss real-world scenarios, share experiences, and engage in interactive activities to enhance their understanding and proficiency.
Hands-On: the instruction must be delivered onsite and in person. The students
must physically handle the items during the hands-on.
• Demonstration: the demonstration may be delivered either by a person or a video. Video Demonstrations may be delivered by virtual live classroom however, self-study modules are not permissible.
• Classroom Lecture/ Discussion w A/V: the instruction may be delivered by virtual live classroom; however, self-study modules are not permissible.
- Reviewing Scaffold Safety Regulations: Participants will refresh their knowledge of relevant scaffold safety regulations, standards, and guidelines, ensuring compliance with current requirements.
- Updating Knowledge of Hazard Recognition: Learners will revisit hazard recognition techniques specific to suspended scaffolds, identifying potential risks, and implementing appropriate control measures.
- Reinforcing Fall Protection Measures: The course aims to reinforce knowledge and skills related to fall protection, including the proper use of personal fall arrest systems (PFAS), harnesses, lifelines, and anchorage points.
- Refreshing Scaffold Setup, Inspection, and Maintenance: Participants will review proper procedures for setting up, inspecting, and maintaining suspended scaffolds, ensuring stability, structural integrity, and adherence to safety standards.
- Updating Emergency Response and Rescue Procedures: The course will cover any updates or changes in emergency response procedures, evacuation plans, and rescue techniques specific to suspended scaffold situations.
- Addressing Recent Updates and Best Practices: Participants will stay up to date with recent updates, changes, and best practices related to using suspended scaffolds, ensuring their knowledge aligns with current industry standards.
- Reinforcing Communication and Collaboration: The course emphasizes effective communication and collaboration among workers using suspended scaffolds, including clear instructions, hand signals, and teamwork to promote a safe and efficient work environment.
- Practical Application and Hands-On Activities: Participants will engage in practical activities, discussions, and simulations to refresh their skills and apply their knowledge in realistic scenarios.